Things That Attract Termites to Your Home and How to Keep Them Away?
Termites are descendants of the cockroach family and can cause damage to a much greater extent than the latter. Termites feed on wood and hence if there’s an infestation in your house, you may notice that your wooden furniture, walls, etc. would be completely damaged as well as hollow from inside. Continue reading to understand what the things that attract termites to your home are and how to keep them away.
What attracts termites to homes?
Termites commonly feed on the cellulose that exists in wood and wooden materials. Which also means that you will commonly find these pests inside walls, surfaces, and floorings are few factors that attract termites to a home.
Termites are also attracted to piles of wood, moisture sources, clogged drainage etc. Once termites have entered a house, there is not a lot that you can do to eliminate these pesky insects successfully without professional assistance. It is even difficult to spot the initial signs of infestation as termites eat away on your wooden materials unobtrusively. Hence, opting for termite control Canberra is the only effective way to solve the termite infestation problem.
The signs to identify a termite infestation
There are some signs that you can go over by yourself for confirming the presence of termites:
- Termite waste – the excreta of termites is granule-sized and can be found near walls or near wooden furniture.
- Peeling in wood – if you notice your wooden furniture leaving wooden dust or peeling off it is a sign of termite infestation. The furniture may also sound hollow when tapped on.
- Discarded wings – discarded wings everywhere on the floor, windowsills or sofas are also a sign of termite infestation.
- Dirt – if there are signs of mud or dirt in or near the wood that they are chewing on, it is also a sign of termite infestation. If there are termites in the property, the dirt residue is bound to be there.
These were just a few signs that would help you identify the signs of a termite infestation. But for a deeper and a more detailed inspection, you will have to get in touch with a pest control expert.
How to keep termites away from your property?
- Install termite baits – termite baits systems have sticks inside that you can place them in the ground and then monitor it after a few days. You also need to keep replacing the bait in a few days so the termites take it back to their colonies. The baiting system acts as slow poison and also transfers the same to the other termite population.
- Baking soda – Scattering baking soda on all the places that you spot the termite colonies on is an effective way to eliminate the termite population. Do not forget to spray in the cracks and crevices on doors, windows or walls.
- Boric acid – You could also pepper boric powder all around the areas that have caught termite infestation which also includes the boundaries of your property. This would definitely inhibit these pests from coming inside your property to a large extent. But for better results, it is always wise to approach an experienced pest control company who also provides termite pest control services.
- Exposure to sunlight – Termites detest any exposure to the rays of sun. Put out all the furniture that you think is infested by termites for 2-3 days. This process would not work if the infestation also exists inside your home as it is impossible to expose these areas to sunlight.
We are the top choice for many residential and commercial clients in Canberra and suburbs for treating their termite infestation issues. Speak to our customer care specialists for an immediate appointment for your property. We are the Expert termite control service Canberra. Our pest control experts operate on a 24*7 basis and hence we are able to provide same day appointments as well.